Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Bumbleberry Pie, Yum!



This weekend I made a Bumbleberry pie. I am really proud of it and it tastes great! For those of you non-believers, you can ask John. I actually did do too much of it, since I used a pre-made crust. I was going to make my own crust but then I decided that I didn't need to read the recipe and added 1cup of water instead of 1/4cup. That was the end of the homemade crust. Luckily I had a store-bought one on hand. I did, however, make the beautiful lattice crust that you can see in the picture. Here's the recipe if anyone wants to make a great Bumbleberry pie.

Filling:
1 cup fresh or frozen Raspberries, thawed and drained
1 cup fresh or frozen Blueberries. thawed and drained
1 cup Rhubarb, chopped
1 medium tart Apple, peeled and chopped
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 T lemon juice

Crust: No promises on the crust, I didn't make it.
1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
1 cup cold butter
1t sugar
1t salt
1/4 cup cold water (not a full cup, read the recipe)

1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Mix dry ingredients, cut in butter until it's the consistancy of small peas
3. Stir in water until its a lump of dough. Refridgerate 1 hour.
4. Mix filling ingredients in a large bowl.
5. Roll out half or dough for bottom, place in pie plate, pour in filling, place dough strips on top for lattice.
6. Bake 400F for 20 minutes with crust covered with tinfoil, remove foil and bake 40 min at 350F.
7. Cross fingers for good luck.

2 comments:

Lisa Brown said...

Wow! I am impressed! Wish I could have sampled some ;). Oh, and Happy Birthday to John!

PS. I have a great pie crust recipe if you want it.

Catie said...

Dang! Lisa beat me to it! I'm giving you my pie crust recipe. Remember my pie crust? yeah. It's amazing. You can't possibly screw it up, as long as you follow the recipe...plus it tastes better and is pretty easy to manage!