Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Campaign '08

Since our blog is our family journal and because this is an historic event, I wanted to make a post about the 2008 election for the US president--whether or not I agree with the results. We've been watching the votes being tallied and it has been announced that Barack Obama (51%) has won against John McCain (48%) in the race for the White House. He will be the first black person elected to the office of President. This is a big event for a lot of people because it hasn't been so long since the civil rights movement and not so long that African Americans have had the right to vote. Living in the south, there are many people who are still living who once lived in segregated communities and who struggled for their rights and endured much racism. Civil rights has always been an issue close to my own heart and I respect this day as a momentous event.

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

As wonderful as of a thing it is that we will have an African American president, I have to admitt that I don't agree at all with his policies and am really scared to see where he will take this country. I am also nervous because he is Kevin's new boss. You are right though - things have come a long way.